Individual Reading involves your child reading to an adult on a 1:1 basis. Regular reading is important because it provides your child with an opportunity to practise decoding texts, applying their phonic knowledge and rehearsing the reading of whole words too. Most importantly, it is an opportunity to discuss the text, developing comprehension, vocabulary, imagination and concentration.
· For your child to increase in pace and fluency.
· For your child to recognise an increasing number of phonemes.
· For your child to recognise an increasing number of words.
· For your child to develop a better understanding of what they are reading.
· For your child to increasingly enjoy reading and want to read more at home.
What can you do to help at home?